The vision of creating a non-denominational Room of Silence in the
middle of Berlin came about in the eastern part of the then still divided city in December 1988.
After the German reunification in 1990 the idea was transmitted to people in the western
part of the city. Soon a small "Action Group" consisting of citizens of Berlin
was formed with the aim of creating a Room of Silence in a suitable building in the centre
of Berlin near the former frontier between opposing military forces and hostile ideologies.
The room was modelled on a similar room which Dag Hammarskjöld had commissioned for himself
and his colleagues in 1957 in the United Nations building in New York; this room is still
in use. The "Action Group" was transformed into the organisation "Förderkreis
Raum der Stille in Berlin e.V." in 1993 under the protectorate of the then President
of the Berlin House of Representatives Dr. Hanna-Renate Laurien. Thanks to the help of the
Berlin Senate the "Förderkreis" could open the Room of Silence in the Brandenburg
Gate on 27 October 1994.